As you may have seen on social media recently September was PCOS awareness month and wow, what a month we had! This year has been particularly exciting for us as we have received so much support and raised more money than ever before during such difficult circumstances and unprecedented times.
2020 has been a very strange and stressful year for everyone with the disruptions of Coronavirus affecting our lives in so many different ways. Sadly, many businesses have been unable to stay afloat and numerous charities worldwide have suffered huge losses over the last few months due to national and local lockdowns resulting in a significant drop in fundraising and income. With this in mind, from everyone at Verity, we would like to send our deepest sympathies to those companies, families and individuals whose lives have been devastatingly affected by Covid19.
Throughout this pandemic your help and support has enabled us to continue to grow and be a safe place for PCOS sufferers to learn and share advice, tips and coping strategies with others in a similar position. We are extremely humbled and grateful to have received an overwhelming amount of kindness and support this year and especially during PCOS awareness month. September was a fantastic driving force for many of our members to get involved and fundraise for a cause so close to our hearts, and it was also a welcome distraction to many who needed an escape from all the negativity we have faced this year.
Firstly, we would like to say the biggest thank you to everyone who got involved in any way to help us raise awareness of PCOS, whether it be through fundraising, sharing our social media posts, Painting it Purple where many of you painted your nails in Verity colours, or just by talking about PCOS and all its symptoms. You have all made such a difference and it’s been so heartwarming for us see so many people sharing their passion for this condition and for Verity.
Together, in just one month, our fundraisers have raised over £5,000 for our charity! We raised the same amount from January to August this year so to raise this figure in only one month is just incredible for us! We really are blown away by your generosity and support; we cannot thank you enough! Not only that, but as a charity we have had fantastic publicity this month too; Verity has featured in local newspapers around the UK as well as national newspapers, and we have been mentioned on the radio too!
Here are just a few of the many fundraising events that have taken place throughout september:
- Many of our members took part in the 100 for PCOS campaign, an initiative that was started on instagram by Hannah Guthrie from the DAISy-PCOS leadership programme, which saw PCOS sufferers challenging themselves to walk 100 miles throughout the month of september to raise money and awareness for Verity. Laura Faulkner, our Information Production Manager, took on the walking challenge with her little one in a baby carrier, distributing Verity wristbands and PCOS information leaflets along the way and raised just shy of £700!
- Zoe Blundell, Paige Sharman, Aysa Cambell and Laura Faulkner raised money by organising their own online raffles. Thank you to everyone who bought tickets and to the many small businesses that kindly donated raffle prizes.
- Kelsey Harper, owner of Pineapple Post UK, designed and made custom PCOS wax melts and kindly donated a percentage of profits from the sales to Verity.
- Athena Allardice, Twitch’s AthenaAGaming, organised and streamed a convoy on a multiplayer mod for Euro Truck Simulator 2 with 70 people participating and raised an amazing £345!
- And many of you, very generously, used your birthdays during september to fundraise for us on facebook.
Thank you so much to you all for your amazing efforts! You have made such a difference to our charity!
There were also lots of events throughout the month that helped us raise awareness of PCOS, including:
- Clacton Pier lit up in bright purple in support of Verity.
- Allontheboard posted a positive message about invisible illnesses in support of PCOS awareness month on the underground notice board.
- Many of you bravely took part in our 30 day PCOS photo challenge on social media to share your personal experiences to help to raise awareness. Thank you so much to you all for your amazing efforts!
- Fertility consultant, Prof Arpita Ray, of Bourn Hall Fertility Clinic held a PCOS and fertility webinar for PCOS sufferers where they gave their expert advice on a range of symptoms in support of Verity and PCOS awareness month.
- The PCOS Health Coach, Hannah Stoner, a personal trainer who specialises in PCOS diets and exercise worked hard throughout the month to raise awareness of PCOS.
- Rachel Morman, the Chair of Verity, took part in an international webinar on World PCOS day hosted by PCOS challenge (US) which connected PCOS focused organisations across the world.
- DAISy-PCOS organised a webinar with special guests, IMSR researchers and a discussion panel to raise awareness of PCOS.
- Verity members took part in International Gynaecological Awareness Day by decorating posters of ‘PCOS pants’ that represent their condition to raise awareness of gynaecological related issues.
- The Food Medic, Dr Hazel Wallace, opened up on Instagram about her PCOS to her 492k followers to help raise awareness.
- The Gynae Geek, Dr Anita Mitra, posted awareness videos on her facebook and instagram accounts informing her followers about PCOS symptoms and giving her professional advice.
- Laura Teare-Jones produced a podcast called My Hormones My Health to discuss PCOS.
- Dr Nitu Bajekal made a podcast on anti-diet lifestyle approaches to PCOS which informed us on the things she didn’t learn at medical school.
We want to express our heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has worked hard to make awareness month so successful. Our volunteer trustees, as always, have worked tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure the smooth running of Verity; from our website, social media and local facebook groups to the research of PCOS news and developments and finances. We are lucky to have such a hardworking, dedicated and passionate team of trustees. We’d also like to thank every single one of our Verity volunteers from our local group leaders and trustees, to our research and our fundraising teams for their endless support and for always making time to support those that need it the most, your work is invaluable, thank you so much!
We are so proud to be surrounded by so many supporters willing to join us in raising money and awareness of PCOS. From the bottom of our hearts, everyone at Verity would like to express our deepest gratitude and thank you for supporting us, we couldn’t continue to do what we do without you! You guys really are amazing! Thank you so much, we can’t wait to do it all over again next September!
Love from everyone at Verity x
For more information or to share your PCOS story with us please email Laura Faulkner, our Information Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org